No banana muffin beats Ina Garten’s Banana Crunch muffins. I owe all my inspiration for these to her! I wanted to create a muffin full of whole grain carbohydrates, fiber and decrease the sugar content to prevent a mid-morning crash. Many of us stay rather busy throughout the morning, and benefit from a breakfast we trust to carry us through to lunch. These are just the muffin! I like to top my muffins with nut butter for an extra serving of healthy fat and protein.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 12 muffins
• 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
• 1/2 cup almond meal/flour
• 1/3 cup coconut sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1 egg
• 1/4 cup yogurt (I used So Delicious coconut yogurt in plain)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
• 1 very ripe banana mashed
• 1/2 banana, diced
• 1/2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
• chopped walnuts for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray top of muffin pan with cooking spray, or rub with coconut oil via a paper towel. This prevents muffin edges from sticking to the pan if they rise over. Line with parchment baking cups, or liner of choice.
2. Melt 1/3 cup coconut oil and set aside to cool. Whisk egg in small bowl and set aside.
3. Add flour, almond meal/flour, coconut sugar, baking soda and cinnamon to a medium bowl. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl whisk oil, honey, egg, yogurt, vanilla, milk and mashed banana.
5. Next, fold in dry ingredients with a spatula until just combined.
6. Add chopped banana and coconut. Fold in with spatula
7. Scoop batter into prepared muffin pan. Fill approximately 3/4 full.
8. Top with chopped walnuts, or nut of choice
9. Bake for approximately 22-25 minutes until edges are just golden and tooth pick comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, when inserted into center.
10. Allow to cool in pan for 5-10 minutes. I find it best to run an offset spatula along edges to ensure the muffins did not stick anywhere.
11. Remove from pan and allow to cool on cooling rack. I use my offset spatula to help me lift the muffins out of the pan.
• You may replace gluten-free all purpose flour with 1 cup all purpose flour, of 1/2 cup all purpose flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
• I use plain coconut yogurt. I posted the type I use in my baking page.
• You may replace the almond milk with any milk of choice.
• I prefer my chopped banana to not be as ripe as my mashed banana. I tend to use a banana just starting to brown.
• You may replace coconut sugar with white sugar.